What We Dsicuss With Karen Ottoni
Amidst the noise and attention-grabbing cryptocurrency price headlines some of you are having sleepless nights on, there are many companies which perhaps you are hearing less of but who are working on how this fascinating technology of blockchain can be used to transform business.
Modern business is made up of siloed repositories of data, each enterprise keeps a separate copy of their data since there is no collective trust.
Now we do know that blockchain can solve this data stewardship problem but I wanted to understand how enterprises can overcome the data visibility concern within a public blockchain.
For the first episode of a series dedicated to Blockchain for Enterprises, I wanted to understand how Hyperledger is leading the mission of ‘advancing business blockchain adoption through global open source collaboration’.
In this episode, you will learn;
- The difference between a public blockchain like Bitcoin and private blockchain for enterprises;
- How to assess which blockchain fits your enterprises’ needs;
- How Hyperledger is helping the accounting and finance industry implement blockchain;
- How the promise of blockchain can bring real socio economic change;
- And much more.
An introduction into Hyperledger
- Karen shares her personal background, how she became interested in blockchain and what an Ecosystem Director does at Hyperledger [2:45]
- The difference between public, private, permissioned and permissionless networks in blockchain [11:00]
- What DLTs support a permissionless network for enterprises and in which cases an organization would want the flexibility of a public and private network [15:02]
- Karen offers a breakdown of the different Hyperledger projects [16:55]
- Hyperledger calls itself a modular blockchain platform, and Karen provides an example on how can an enterprise customize the blockchain to fit their needs [19:34]
- Consensus mechanism of Hyperledger as compared to proof of work on Bitcoin [21:37]
- Validators on the network when implementing Hyperledger [24:42]
Use cases and implementation of Hyperledger
- Hyperledger compared to other enterprise blockchains like R3 Corda and Consensys Quorum [27:19]
- How Hyperledger fits into the blockchain trilemma (scalability, decentralization, security) [33:31]
- Scalability with Hyperledger and advantages running a private permissioned ledger [34:59]
- Examples of different use cases of Hyperledger in accounting and finance industry [36:36]
- How should a company implement Hyperledger [41:31]
- What is tokenization and how does tokenization work with Hyperledger [45:42]
The promise of blockchain & how to educate yourself into blockchain
- How can blockchain technology bring socio economic change to people and reduce supply chain exploitation [48:46]
- What are the barriers for women to get into the blockchain space [53:53]
- The different initiatives of Hyperledger to promote diversity inclusion [55:58]
- Women in blockchain Meetup group and how Karen wants to make blockchain accessible [57:58]
- Karen shares her favourite newsletters, podcast and other educational resources [60:00]